Expatriates in the Global Workforce

While reading through this week’s section of Organizational Behavior, I was particularly intrigued by the excerpt regarding expatriates. The term has always conjured images of Hemingway and Fitzgerald for me, as I picture them sitting in a French café or participating in the running of the bulls (The Sun Also Rises, anyone?). However, I never fully considered all the steps involved in becoming an expatriate, even for a large, already-global corporation.

I’ve always been very open to the idea of becoming an expatriate and it’s something my fiancé and I discuss fairly frequently as we talk about our future. The simplistic idea I had in my head of what it takes to actually move to and live in a foreign country was blown away by the reading, which asserts that “An executive earning $100,000 per year in the United States…might cost her company more than $300,000 in the first year of an assignment in England.” (50) The assertion is a logical one and made me raise the question: why bother sending people to international divisions at all?

This is where the importance of multicultural workforces come into play. As Schermerhorn, et. al. write, “The truly global organization operates with a total world view and does not have allegiance to any one national ‘home.’” (49) By taking such a view, a corporation increases its “‘size, importance, and political power…in the global game.’” (49) When companies become multinational corporations, their impact increases along with their benefit to the rest of the world. This is part of what intrigues me so much about becoming an expatriate. I would be bringing my skills from my school, internship, and work experiences in the United States to another part of the world and sharing my knowledge with the people there. At the same time, the people in said country would be broadening my worldview, which I personally believe would increase tolerance and decrease the nationalistic attitudes that can be so damaging to our society.

I’m not sure when, where, or how I would become an expatriate. Regardless of whether my fiancé or I were the one being transferred, I think an international assignment would do wonders for our worldview. This reading was an eye-opener in terms of what we would experience living abroad, especially in regards to the “tourist stage,” “disillusionment stage,” and “culture shock,” in addition to the period in which we would have to get used to being at “home” once again. I would like to end on an interesting thought, as well: the reading states that, “While abroad, the expatriate has often functioned with a great degree of independence–something that may or may not be possible at home.” (52) For my fellow U.S. students–do you think we function with this degree of independence here? And for the Humphrey fellows–Do you find you have more, less, or maybe even equal independence living in the United States? 

As an afterthought- here’s the link to a fun blog I read about a woman and her husband who are living abroad as expatriates in Amsterdam via Portland, OR. An interesting perspective for anyone considering the same change! 

-Caroline Porter

Photos courtesy: http://acalleru.blogspot.com/2010/03/expatriate-assignments-and-overseas.html, http://www.amikaufman.com/2009/07/should-expats-be-quiet/