Amy’s Leadership Style

Servant leadership has been the theme of this semester. Peter G. Northouse defines servant leadership in his book Leadership: Theory and Practice.  Hopefully, this quote can help everyone be the leaders they want to be. It has definitely helped me understand what servant leadership is and how I can apply it to my life: “Servant leadership argues unabashedly that leaders should put followers first, share control with followers, and embrace their growth” (Northhouse 234).

Over the semester we’ve learned that serving our community and using teamwork are important parts of learning how to lead. However, it took me until the end to really learn that being a leader shouldn’t be completely selfish. It isn’t about just learning what qualities make a good leader, but it’s about having awareness of the people around you and your impact on them.

The leadership lessons that I’ve been able to apply to my life this semester come from many places; however, Abraham Lincoln has taught me the most in the book Lincoln on Leadership Donald T. Phillips.

Have patience

Embrace your weaknesses

Be fearless

Have trust and confidence in your subordinates

Through these characteristics I’ve embraced, I’ve been able to improve my life and never take for granted the people who surround and support me. The overarching theme of leadership, is teamwork. Without it, a leader really doesn’t have a job to do. Leadership is all about being an efficient, unselfish, encouraging and inspiring team member. Acting as a team member, not a ruler, is the most effective way of leading.
In conclusion, my favorite quote that sums up how essential it is to always consider yourself as part of team comes from Abraham Lincoln: “A house divided against itself cannot stand…Our cause must be intrusted to, and conducted by its own undoubted friends – whose hands are free, whose hearts are in the work – who do care for the result” (Abraham Lincoln, A House Divided Speech 1858).